Starting Quilt Art
Tutor: Ruth Blanchet
Finished Size: Various Sizes
Number of Lessons: 4
This class will give you starting points for several different areas in Quilt Art. From finding inspiration and color coordinating, to straight piecing landscapes, applique and progressing to more advanced work of shading, shadows and threadwork. Develop a background, add your own ideas and get inspiration from others in the class. During the whole workshop you will make several small quilts that you can display as framed artwork or kept as a collection for reference. All your work will be unique and different from other students in the class, yet their work will give you added inspiration and creative ideas.
Note: Do NOT get overwhelmed by the length of this list, it looks a lot however, most fabrics you will find in your stash as projects are small and only require small amounts. In most cases no more than a fat eighth is required, often much less. All exercises are optional, however the more experimenting you do during class time, the more you will get from the class.
- Digital camera or method of taking photos to send photos into the academy, such as a photo camera as long as you know how to transfer it to the computer.
- General quilting supplies such as rotary cutter, mat, scissors, pins, machine needles, thread for piecing etc
- Pencil for drawing – preferably a mechanical pencil
- Teflon sheet, parchment paper or baking paper
- Lightbox may be useful
- Sewing machine with free-motion/darning foot and walking foot or equivalent (dual feeds)
- Stabilizer – heavy iron-on non-woven interfacing such as Pellon 808 craft fuse
- Fusible webbing – I recommend either Wonder Under or Vliesofix. Non-paper backed fusible is also suitable for some exercises (this is discussed in lessons)
- Small amount of cotton batting - excess from larger quilts is ideal. See individual exercises for actual amounts
- Note book – preferably blank pages
Requirements for each exercise Note: Unless otherwise stated, no more than a fat eighth is required