Briefly: Learn dimensional applique with basic machine embroidery techniques
Tutor: Ruth Blanchet
Finished Size: 19 1/2" X 14 1/2"
Number of Lessons: 4
Skill Level: All
A four lesson class is great for learning skills of dimensional work along with the basics of machine embroidery. The petals of the poppies and leaves are hanging free to give a D3 effect of a real plant and the embroidery gives them character and shape. Now available as a pattern.
- 4" flower color (poppy)
- 4" light green (leaves)
- 12" dark green (leaves, border, binding)
- Scrap of black (flower center)
- 12" background fabric A (diamond and outer border)
- 6" background fabric B (background triangles)
- FOUR 2" squares in scrap fabric
- 16" backing
- 16" compressed batting or similar fine batting
- 8" fusible web
- Small piece of interfacing, approx. 2" x 4"
- Matching and contrasting machine embroidery threads for flowers and leaves. I have chosen four, one the color of the poppy petals, one the color of the poppy centers and two for each green.
- Small seed beads
- Neutral colored thread for piecing background
- Suitable thread for quilting (I prefer to use invisible nylon thread on the top with metrolene overlocking thread for the bobbin) Other threads are acceptable.
- Sewing Machine and accessories
- 1/4" machine foot or other method of measuring 1/4" seams (these are mentioned in lesson two)
- Walking foot and darning foot (optional, but helpful)
- Machine and hand stitching needles
- 10" tear-away or similar removable stabilizer, preferably dark in colour
- Pencil or fabric marker
- Cutting mat, rotary cutter and rulers
- Small very sharp scissors, pins and safety pins
- Baking paper
- Template Plastic (optional)
- Quilt sandwich (a layer of two pieces of muslin with batting in between, safety pinned together)
Where do I find my workshop? All workshops are presented at www.academyofquilting.com. Please visit the site to register a free user account.